the search is over. this is the best pancake recipe in all the world and i found the goodness in my heart to share it with you today. you're welcome!
i grew up with my mom making these pancakes for us every weekend. we are starting to let ava eat more tablefood (she has three teeth now! three!) and i was excited to let her try her first pancake this last sunday. i even let her have some vanilla buttermilk syrup with it. because i'm a cool mom, duh.
i highly suggest you pair these pancakes with the vanilla syrup. it is heaven in liquid form. it doesn't taste like buttermilk, don't let the ingredients fool you! if you don't have the ingredients for it or are feeling lazy, these pancakes are just as good with maple syrup. or maple syrup and peanut butter. mmmmm.
make these for your babies or your man or your roommate or your mom this sunday and enjoy yourself some breakfast perfection.
best ever buttermilk pancakes
3 cups buttermilk
3 cups flour
3 tablespoons sugar
6 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
milk, for thinning batter
1. combine wet ingredients.
2. combine dry ingredients and add to wet ingredients. stir until incorporated. batter will be lumpy and thick, that's okay. thin with milk. finished batter should be pourable.
3. heat a griddle on medium heat (cast iron is best) and grease with cooking spray or butter.
4. pour pancakes on hot griddle and flip when they begin to bubble around the edges.
5. cook to desired done-ness (i like mine just slightly underdone) and finish with butter and syrup.
vanilla buttermilk syrup
1 stick of butter
2 cups sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp vanilla
1. combine butter. sugar and buttermilk in a sauce pan and heat until boiling. allow mixture to boil for one minute.
2. remove pan from heat and add baking soda and vanilla.
note: this syrup will get bubbly when you add the baking soda, so use a pan that allows room! you don't want overflowed syrup covering your stove.