did you feel it in the air yesterday?? that little bit of fall? a cooler breeze, some fallen leaves on our evening walk...autumn is here and i am glad. i can't do these heat waves anymore.
i was a little ambitious with my banana purchase last week and we had some overripe bananas and blocks of cream cheese begging for use. cream cheese elevates every dish in my opinion. have you had it with tortilla chips and salsa? oy vey, it changes lives. or what about mixed into your mashed potatoes? no other way to do thanksgiving my friends!
this bread is a perfect welcome for fall. it is comfort food at its finest. tasty and hearty and cream-cheese-swirly. we gave a couple bites to my picky eater ava girl and she even liked it, which is saying something because sweet child only eats peaches and oatmeal.
cream cheese swirl coconut banana bread
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
3 overripe bananas, mashed
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons greek yogurt (or sour cream)
1 cup shredded coconut
2 cups flour
cinnamon sugar for topping (optional)
cream cheese mixture
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon flour
1. mix butter, sugar and eggs until smooth.
2. add bananas, baking soda, salt and greek yogurt.
3. mix in coconut and flour and stir until combined.
4. make cream cheese mixture by combining all ingredients and stirring until smooth.
5. grease and flour 2 loaf pans. layer half of banana bread batter, add half of cream cheese mixture, and finish with second part of banana bread batter.
6. smooth over and top with dusting of cinnamon sugar.
7. bake at 350 degrees for one hour.
8. test for doneness by inserting a knife/fork/toothpick in the center. if it comes out completely, it is done!
9. enjoy! and truth be told, this is even better the next day...if you can make it last that long.