this is our absolute favorite recipe for waffles. we usually make them on lazy sunday mornings in our pajamas and those mornings are my favorite. i found this recipe a long time ago when we first got married and when i made them, david was like "these are the best wafffles ever." and he talked about them forever, but i couldn't find the recipe for a while. but then i did, and it was a sweet reunion.
i adapted the original recipe a little - i add a little bit of vanilla (about a teaspoon) and do half whole milk and half buttermilk for the milk portion. these babies are perfect topped with my favorite buttermilk syrup and i like to eat them with some whipped cream too because i think whipped cream makes any and every treat just a little better.
make these for your family the next time you're looking for a lazy sunday morning eat, and i promise you won't regret it! (unless you make them every day and then can't button your jeans...then you might regret it.)
our favorite chocolate chip waffles
1 1/3 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
2 eggs, separated
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 3/4 cups milk, (about half buttermilk)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips (or more or less, it's up to you momma!)
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients.
2. Separate the eggs, adding the yolks to the dry ingredient mixture, and placing the whites in a small mixing bowl.
3. Beat whites until moderately stiff; set aside.
4. Add milk and melted butter to dry ingredient mixture and blend.
5. Fold stiff egg whites into mixture. Add vanilla.
6. Ladle mixture into hot waffle iron and bake.